Some kitchen appliances can be super noisy. One of them is the kitchen sink because most of the low costs kitchen sinks are made of thin materials that can be very noisy when we drop the dishes or run the water. To eliminate that annoying sound, just follow this guide to know everything about “soundproofing the kitchen sink”.
When people think about soundproofing parts of their home, they always forget to think about soundproofing the noisiest part of every home – the kitchen. You may not associate the kitchen with noise, but if you think more you will realize that the kitchen always has more noisy amenities than any other part of the home. Think about the fridge, washing machine, blender, the cooker hood, and, of course, the kitchen sink.
This means that if you want to enjoy a peaceful atmosphere at your home you should definitely think about soundproofing the kitchen. However, sometimes soundproofing an entire room can be super costly and very time-consuming. In that case, it is the best if instead of soundproofing the entire area to only soundproof those appliances that make that annoying buzzing sound.
The kitchen sink is definitely one of the noisiest things in the kitchen. Especially if it is made of cheap low costing stainless steel. The reason is that it is made of a super-thin material that tends to be very noisy when you wash the dishes.
I can tell that from my own personal experience as I have a tiny kitchen and a tiny kitchen sink as well. The first kitchen sink I had was made of cheap stainless steel and sometimes was very noisy. Additionally, the cabinet was starting to get mold so while I was replacing the old kitchen sink with a new one, I decided that to also soundproof it. The idea was to use low-cost, but quality materials and so I did it.
In this article, you will find out all the best methods that will help you to soundproof the kitchen sink without spending too much time and money, just like I did! So let’s start!
How to soundproof the kitchen sink? 6 Easy Ways
Here are 6 ways to soundproof your kitchen sink easily and effectively:
- Use rubberized undercoating spray
- Try polyurethane foam spray
- Use the sound deadening mat
- Use a Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) to soundproof the kitchen sink
- Try rubber sheets for soundproofing the kitchen sink
- Get a new soundproofed stainless steel kitchen sink
Let’s discuss each of these in detail!
Use rubberized undercoating spray
A rubberized undercoating spray is a simple and efficient way for soundproofing a noisy kitchen sink.
It is also a substance commonly used to avoid corrosion of vehicle elements such as undercarriages and fender and hood. Yet the deadening sound is equally great and can be sprayed on the underside of the sink. I would suggest you use this rubberized undercoating spray on Amazon.
Step-by-step guide to applying the spray to soundproof the kitchen sink
- Roll up a newspaper and plug into the sink’s holes. This will help you to ensure that you won’t have blockage issues.
- Spread out newspapers or cartons for the safety of the walls and floor before spraying the sink.
- Leave the gap between the can and the sink for about six inches. Start to spray.
- Let the spray dry out and then remove the newspaper or carton you had previously installed.
Check out the video below to see what exactly you should do.
The best thing about this spray is that it is super cheap and easy to apply. However, it is best to you use it in a combination with other methods for better results.
Try polyurethane foam spray
Another fast and relatively cheap way for soundproofing a kitchen sink is with the help of polyurethane foam spray. This type of foam has a very strong insulating value, it is also temperature resistant up to 300°F and is very easy to apply. My best suggestion is to use this one that you can find on Amazon.
Here is a little step-by-step guide on how to apply it:
- The first step is to remove all products from the under sink cabinet, now spread some paper sheets around rubber hoses for a hand-held sink sprayer, versatile cold, and hot water supply lines, and dishwasher tubing. You can also use some masking tape to assure the paper will stay in place
- Wrap newspapers around the waste disposal and cover them if necessary with a tape. When using the polyurethane foam, make sure that you are using safety glasses just in case. Now, shake the polyurethane spray and remove the cap.
- Start with the back of the sink. Use uniform strokes with the can and spray on a coating in order to ensure a good foam placement. Continue to spray the coating on the external sides of the bowl and even on a double drain, between the pans.
- If you have a double sink, start to spray polyurethane foam on the underside of the single bowl or both bowls. Make sure you spray on the base of the sink on a thin layer of paint. After you fill the entire bowl with a spray foam, you have to wait approximately an hour until the foam has dried out and then just remove the papers. That’s it, you are good to go!
Use the sound deadening mat
Sound deadening mats used in cars is another cheap solution to soundproofing a kitchen sink. Sound deadening mats are very commonly used as a soundproofing solution for different items. My best suggestion is to take a look at this one on Amazon. It has great reviews and ratings so it should do the job perfectly.
To install the sound deadening mat you can follow this little guide:
- The first step is to measure and cut the mat that must be placed on the bottom of the sink.
- Roll the mat on the bottom of the sink.
- The sound deadening mat used in cars generally is adhesive on the back. However, you can also use 3M adhesive spray (like this one on Amazon) on the mat and parts of the sink where you will install the mat.
- Just slightly press the mat so it will get in place correctly and that’s it!
Keep in mind that this is generally a cheaper solution to soundproof the kitchen sink. This simply means that sometimes it can’t be that effective. Therefore, just as the first one, I would suggest you use it in a combination with another one.
Use a Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) to soundproof the kitchen sink
Mass Loaded Vinyl or commonly known as only MLV is a very common solution for soundproofing things just like the sound deadening mat. The only difference is that it is a little bit more expensive and it offers better results. What makes it so great is the fact that it adds mass and yet is super flexible.
And that is exactly what you will need to soundproof the kitchen sink! The addition of mass will dampen the vibrations made by the high pressure of water or when dropping the dishes.
If you decide to spend more bucks for better results that I will definitely recommend you to give a shot to this MLV on Amazon.
Step-by-step guide on how to use MLV for soundproofing your kitchen sink
- Check the size you need for your sink and cut the MLV accordingly. The middle section needs to have a circular cut so that the drain pipe can pass through.
- Clean the bottom of the sink to make sure it is dry and dust-free. You must do this before adding the glue or adhesive spray like the 3M I mentioned above.
- Now that the mass of filled vinyl has been cut to fit the sink and the drain and the lower end of the sink is clean and dry, the adhesive has to be added. Place the kitchen sink upside down. Place the MLV on a flat surface. To protect the table or floor from the adhesive spray, I recommend you to put a paper between them. Spray the bottom of the sink and then on the MLV. Apply it gently on the kitchen sink.
- Give it some time for the glue or the adhesive spray to dry out and there you have it!
Remember that although MLV is a little bit more expensive option, the kitchen sink is a generally small area so it won’t cost you much either.
Try rubber sheets for soundproofing the kitchen sink
Rubber sheets are an alternative of MLV and sound deadening mats. They are absolutely identical to install just like the MLV so if you decide to use rubber sheets just follow the guide for the MLV installation.
Or just take a look at this video.
I was surprised by how good the deal was for this rubber sheet on Amazon.
Get a new soundproofed stainless steel kitchen sink
If you think that the previous methods are not something you want to invest time and money into then perhaps you should just buy a new soundproofed kitchen sink. Yes, they do exist. Take a look at this soundproofed stainless steel kitchen sink on Amazon. All the work has already been done for you here.
What makes it soundproofed is the fact that it has sound-absorption undercoating and rubber pads. They serve to minimize water dripping sound, to reduce vibration and condensation, and also keep the cabinets dry and clean.
If you decide to go with this option, follow the video to replace your old kitchen sink with the new soundproofed kitchen sink.
Extra tips to better soundproof the kitchen sink
In order to get some better results make sure to follow these extra tips and combine them with the methods I mentioned above:
- When you install something like MLV, sound deadening mat or rubber sheet to minimize noise from your sink, make sure to apply the adhesive and then press it firmly. This is important because the material will be applied to the underside of the kitchen sink which is opposite of gravity.
- It could be very noisy if your sink has two basins in a single package. The area between them serves as an echo chamber. You can fill this area with polyurethane foam spray as well.
- However, spreading the foam can be messy, so you have to be careful when using it. Make sure to cut the excess foam off with a knife after you have done it.
- The best suggestion is to use a non-metallic sink that’s less noisy. Ceramics can be very expensive so that you can go for something like a granite sink between them.
- Combine this with soundproofing other kitchen appliances as well. A refrigerator makes a great amount of noise too, and if you really want a noise-free kitchen, you need to fix that too! I have written a complete 3000 words article on this. Give it a read and I’m sure you’ll learn a lot about some really easy tips and tricks for soundproofing your refrigerator. Here is the link.
Finally, I will also suggest you to avoid making one big mistake. Avoid buying cheap materials with a low quality. Remember that the sink is something that you will use frequently and it will stay in your home for a very long time. That is why, it is definitely worth investing in good soundproofing materials.
Reasons for soundproofing a kitchen sink
You probably have your own personal reasons to soundproof the kitchen sink, but in case you are still having some doubts, here are some stuff you should not forget.
One of the biggest reasons to soundproof the kitchen sink is that it’s harder to create condensation on the outside that you don’t normally pay attention inside the sink cabinet. The cabinet can hit very cool temperatures most of the time. And when you use hot water in the sink it might lead to water to build up and the whole area to become humid.
This is because of a lack of ventilation and typically no direct sunlight in the cabinet that evaporates the built-up water. This is like a perfect situation for your cabinet to attract cockroaches and other insects that no one wants in their home especially not in the kitchen. Materials like the ones I mentioned previously should help the sink maintain a steady temperature to prevent condensing.
I hope this guide helped you to soundproof the kitchen sink and finally get some peace in your kitchen. My suggestion is to use two combined methods if you want to get some awesome results and get rid of that buzzing noise that kitchen sinks produce. Remember that, investing in a good soundproofing solution will definitely pay off in the long run!